Making Your 3D Printed Sex Toy Safer in 3 Easy Steps.
One of the two dominant plastics used in 3D printing is the ABS. Many sex toys are made from ABS plastic, not only the 3D printed ones, even children’s toys such as LEGO bricks are made from ABS. Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS) plastic is phthalate free and hypoallergenic. Using it to print sex toys is body safe as long as you get a smooth, non-porous finish by following the next steps.
When coming out of the printer, your sex toy will have a rough surface and needs to be polished before using it. The easiest way to polish your sex toy is to use sandpaper. Because 3D printing technology works by making an object layer by layer, microscopic gaps and ridges are there and can be dangerous for internal use. Try to get your toy as smooth as possible.
- Silicone coating
Spray your toys or paint them with food grade silicone. Another option is to dip the part in silicone to get a nice coating and the finish you like.
Do not forget to clean your sex toy regularly and after every usage. Use a washcloth, warm water, and anti-bacterial soap. Do not put it in the dishwasher.
How to Make a Silicone Sex Toy with a 3D Printed Mold:
- 3D print your sex toy mold.
- Use the Dragon Skin® Series silicones by Smooth-On.
- Pour into the mold, let it cure, and enjoy!
3D Printing a Silicone Sex Toy with a Paste Extruder:
- In the following tutorial video, we are using the Discov3ry paste extruder by Structur3d.
- We are printing with the Dragon Skin® Series silicones by Smooth-On.
- To extend the working time of the silicone, we add some Slo-Jo® Platinum Silicone Cure Retarder.
- Put waxed paper on the platform and the print will peel off it easily